At the heart of every business is the need to take care of its employees.
With workplace accidents becoming very commonplace across all types of firms, promoting safe and healthy working conditions is essential. There are various strategies that companies can use to raise awareness of the importance of maintaining an optimal work environment for all employees. Let’s take a look at them below!
Safety & Hygiene Equipment
All companies must strategically install the proper safety and hygiene equipment across the workplace. There are bound to be all sorts of accidents, especially in critical high traffic areas such as stairways, entrance and exit points, or even office areas with smooth floors. To eliminate these risks, companies should consider implementing the following:
- Safety floor mats are an underestimated way of maintaining a safe work environment. Workplace floors can often be hazardous due to slippery liquids and bacterial surfaces. Alsco’s Floor Mats can keep employees safe and comfortable when working for long hours, providing muscle relief and stress reduction, while also capturing 80% of dust and dirt – perfect for keeping your workspace clean, tidy and presentable.
- Workwear & Garments are essential to not only protecting employees, but providing a highly professional image to clients. Whether your business operates in the food and beverage sector, pharmaceutical industry or industrial field, Alsco offers a high-quality range of workplace garments tailored to your unique needs, delivered to your business on a cost-effective rental plan.
- First Aid Kits are a crucial safety addition to your workplace. Every business needs a first aid kit to treat potential injuries and medical emergencies, while also complying with complex Work Health & Safety (WH&S) regulations. From motorist kits to wall-mounted cabinets, first aid kits should be placed in accessible areas around the workplace.
- Eyewash Stations are the ideal solution for workshops, labs, schools or kitchens. In these workspaces, many people can encounter hazardous objects and materials which can damage the eyes. Eyewash stations provide safety procedures, goggles and medical solutions for these risks.
WHS Training & Education Programs
One of the best ways of promoting safe and healthy working conditions is to train employees.
WHS training and education programs are crucial for developing useful skills such as CPR and first-aid training, while also being informed on the proper safety evacuation procedures during a workplace emergency. All these training programs can be delivered via a professional Managed Rental Service, where companies can track their employee’s progress.
Now, many WHS training and education programs can often be gruelling for employees, despite the important advice and skills to be learned. That’s why companies should be implementing teaching strategies to make safety and health fun for everyone involved. This can include:
- Interactive workshops and seminars where employees can actively participate in group discussions related to improving Health and Safety around the workplace. There can be fun quizzes, Q&A sessions, games and role-playing.
- E-Learning and Digital Training Modules are extremely effective for more independent-based learning, allowing staff to use technology for their safety education. This can include online skills courses with verified WHS instructors such as Udemy and Skillshare.
- Virtual and Augmented Reality is an immersive form of training which provides employees with more simulated hands-on experiences without actually taking on any risk. This facilitates quick thinking and improvisation in hypothetical emergency scenarios.
- Video and Audio Conferencing is another great tool for educating staff about health and safety tips around the workplace. The WH&S professional or supervisor is connected with staff through telephone or web-based platforms for convenience.
Reduce Employee Stress & Fatigue (Mental Health)
Mental health is an important yet often overlooked aspect of an employee’s overall satisfaction and performance at work.
If employees have positive mental health, this will lead to higher morale and long-term productivity, which impacts the whole organisation. However, companies often struggle to motivate their employees and ultimately create a workplace culture which embodies safety, comfort and wellbeing. Here are some great ways to improve mental health among employees and reduce stress or fatigue levels.
- Promote a work/life balance: If employees are urged to work in extremely early or late night shifts, it can create considerable fatigue and burnout. It is important that businesses regularly encourage staff to engage in new hobbies or extracurricular activities, spend time with loved ones or take personal care of themselves.
- Encourage open communication: Mental health awareness programs or discussions need to be held in the workplace to start an open dialogue about issues such as depression, anxiety, stress or other mental illnesses. Managers and supervisors should be educated on mental illness symptoms and must be trained to respond appropriately. This encourages staff to be more outspoken about their problems.
- Design an optimal workplace: Mental health can be improved by creating special workplace areas with ample natural lighting, such as sleeping pods, safe spaces and recreational/leisure areas (e.g. table tennis, yoga) or meditation circles. This can create a more lively and vibrant atmosphere around the workplace, which can generate more relaxed and uplifting moods, while also providing some level of privacy for stressed employees.
- Reduce the mental health stigma: Workers can be shy or hesitant to openly talk about their personal wellbeing and mental health for fear of being harshly judged. Organisations should regularly talk about stress management, personal care and mental health in meetings or emails/memos. This encourages workers to step forward, voice their concerns and seek treatment or diagnosis.
Incorporate WHS into HR Management
Protecting employees shouldn’t just stop at safety equipment and garments.
In order for a workplace to truly flourish with efficiency in safety and health procedures, enterprises should develop methods for enforcing safety policies. This could include limiting access to certain hazardous areas, developing frequent training sessions or inductions, or regularly distributing health and safety information to employees. Building a safety committee is another great way to liaise with WHS officers and employees, providing ongoing resources and support.
Safe and healthy working conditions can be improved by incorporating the role of HR, who must ensure that all workplaces operate in compliance with WHS standards and legislation. This includes processing workers’ compensation claims and sick leave, while maintaining employee records and documenting special concerns such as pregnancies, disabilities or mental illnesses.
Why stop here? Alsco provides a comprehensive range of high-quality products for all your business’s safety and health needs.
We are proud to be the first provider of rental garment systems in Thailand, offering an extensive range of industry uniforms as well as floor mats. If you want to ensure all your employees are given the maximum protection from workplace hazards, then we’re the right choice for you. Contact us now!